THE NORTH CAROLINA BOYS CHOIR
THE NORTH CAROLINA GIRLS CHOIR
Dedicated to musical excellence for over 40 years!
FOR SPECIFIC INFORMATION ABOUT JANUARY-FEBRUARY 2021 AUDITIONS AND SPRING 2021 SEMESTER, PLEASE EXPLORE THIS LINK. General information about how to join us appears below.
For boys and girls who love to sing!
The North Carolina Boys Choir and The North Carolina Girls Choir is a nonprofit choral arts organization for boys and girls between the ages of seven and eighteen. The Choirs perform in concerts throughout the area and take part in wider opportunities with other choirs. As the girls and boys progress within the choir, they study progressively more challenging music, are provided with educational opportunities; and travel locally, regionally, nationally, and abroad for performances.
More than just a choir . . .
The North Carolina Boys Choir and The North Carolina Girls Choir educate and train girls and boys in the art of performing the finest music in the choral tradition. Through musical training and choral experiences, the girls and boys develop an appreciation of a wide range of choral literature. They gain self-confidence and poise, develop leadership and teamwork skills, and acquire self-discipline and self-respect. They bond with other girls and boys who share their love of music.
Why join us?
- The music expertise of our artistic staff is unparalleled:
- Our Music Director has over 40 years of experience conducting several leading girls choirs and boys choirs throughout the United States;
- Our Associate Music Director and Lead Accompanist has over 20 years of choir experience, is a former boychoir member himself and is a highly accomplished, in-demand organist in North Carolina; and
- Our Associate Accompanist is a university music instructor with over 15 years of college-level music teaching experience.
- Virtual and optional live rehearsals are available during Spring 2021 Semester
- The size of our choirs is deliberately small, so children receive a good amount of individual attention from conductors
- Advanced singers benefit from individual voice lessons (live or online) as part of their choral education. That is an amazing opportunity, privilege and value for our singers. Individual voice lessons generally cost $30+/per lesson in the Triangle area, but they are part of the tuition cost for Prima and Concert choir members.
- While we conduct a separate advanced boys choir and advanced girls choir, our choirs have many opportunities to collaborate with each other and expand their respective performance ranges on certain music selections.
- Our choristers benefit from learning virtual choir and recording skills, in addition to traditional choral rehearsals. Families will have access to a beautiful virtual choir project video or videos with their children’s appearance as a keepsake.
- We engage in touring, performing and camping opportunities (these are currently subject to modifications due to COVID-19)
- Need-based scholarships are available
- We provide an overall incredible quality and value in music education.
How to join . . .
There are 3 different ways to join us:
1. We hold open public auditions twice a year: at the beginning of the fall semester (in August and September) and at the beginning of the winter semester (in January and February). The information about the next round of open public auditions will be posted on the main webpage at ncboyschoir.org.
- At the auditions, girls and boys and their parents will have an opportunity to observe rehearsals.
- No formal preparation of singing material or prior singing experience is required.
- For parents who are unsure as to whether their kids are ready to join the Choir musically and otherwise, do NOT worry. For our training choir, we are looking for boys and girls with a pleasant singing voice, interest in music, and a very basic music ability. The auditions are very informal, relaxed and low pressure. We wholeheartedly welcome all children who are interested in singing to our auditions!
2. We traditionally hold several half-day music camps/choral workshops on Saturdays in August/September and in January. There is an easy and relaxed atmosphere in the camps. Boys and girls have fun and learn some choral basics with the special NCBC-developed music curriculum. We provide professional music instruction, snacks and water. Participation in camps takes place in lieu of auditions. The information about the free camp/workshop will be posted on the home page at ncboyschoir.org, when the schedule is finalized.
3. If you missed one of our formal audition or camp dates, do not fret. We are happy to schedule an informal audition for your child throughout the year. The audition will be short, informal and low pressure. To arrange an audition, please contact us by by email at email@example.com, by phone at (919) 239-9083 (Music Director Robert Unger), or by filling out the contact form below: