THE NORTH CAROLINA BOYS CHOIR
THE NORTH CAROLINA GIRLS CHOIR
Dedicated to musical excellence for over 50 years!
- DURING THE ONSET OF COVID-19 PANDEMIC IN NORTH CAROLINA, OUR CHOIRS CONTINUED DELIVERING HIGH-QUALITY CHORAL EDUCATION TO OUR CHORISTERS THROUGH AN INNOVATIVE HYBRID CHORAL PROGRAM. THE PROGRAM INCLUDED VIRTUAL REHEARSALS, LIVE OUTSIDE REHEARSALS WITH SOCIAL DISTANCING AND FACE COVERINGS AND VIRTUAL CHOIR RECORDING SESSIONS AND MANY VIDEO RELEASES.
- WE SINCE SUCCESSFULLY TRANSITIONED TO LIVE REHEARSALS AND HAD A SUCCESSFUL IN-PERSON SEMESTER OF REHEARSALS, LIVE PERFORMANCES AND A TOUR IN THE SPRING OF 2022.
- WE HAVE EXCITING FALL AND SPRING SEMESTER PROGRAM PLANNED IN 2022-2023.
- SING WITH US!
For boys and girls who love to sing!
The North Carolina Boys Choir and The North Carolina Girls Choir is a nonprofit choral arts organization for boys and girls between the ages of seven and eighteen. The Choirs perform in concerts throughout the area and take part in wider opportunities with other choirs. As the girls and boys progress within the choir, they study progressively more challenging music, are provided with educational opportunities; and travel locally, regionally, nationally, and abroad for performances.
More than just a choir . . .
The North Carolina Boys Choir and The North Carolina Girls Choir educate and train girls and boys in the art of performing the finest music in the choral tradition. Through musical training and choral experiences, the girls and boys develop an appreciation of a wide range of choral literature. They gain self-confidence and poise, develop leadership and teamwork skills, and acquire self-discipline and self-respect. They bond with other girls and boys who share their love of music.
Why join us?
- The music expertise of our artistic staff is unparalleled:
- Our Music Director has over 40 years of experience conducting several leading girls choirs and boys choirs throughout the United States;
- Our Associate Music Director and Lead Accompanist has over 20 years of choir experience, is a former boychoir member himself and is a highly accomplished, in-demand organist in North Carolina; and
- Our Associate Accompanist is a university music instructor with over 16 years of college-level music teaching experience.
- In-person rehearsals in Chapel Hill will be offered during the 2022-2023 choral season. We successfully rehearsed and performed in-person during Spring 2022 with appropriate COVID-19 precautions. We do, however, have a proven ability and capacity to switch over to a virtual format of rehearsals without skipping a bit, if such a switch is needed due to COVID-19 pandemic conditions.
- The size of our choirs is deliberately small, so children receive a good amount of individual attention from conductors.
- While we conduct a separate advanced boys choir and advanced girls choir, our choirs have many opportunities to collaborate with each other and expand their respective performance ranges on certain music selections.
- Our singers are able to transition and develop their talents as they grow from training choir to advanced Prima or Concert ensembles, and later to a Chamber ensemble for youth with changed voices.
- Our choristers have benefitted from learning virtual choir and recording skills too, in addition to traditional choral rehearsals. Families had access to a beautiful virtual choir project video or videos with their children’s appearance as a keepsake. In any case, a recording of a choral piece or a video recording of a concert will be made available to our families for home enjoyment for many years to come.
- We engage in touring, performing and camping opportunities. Our most recent appearances included a beautiful performance by Prima, Concert and Chamber ensembles at Duke University Chapel in December 2022 and a successful tour to a youth choir festival in West Virginia during the summer of 2022.
- All talented kids deserve to enjoy high-quality singing instructions. We made it our mission to ensure that need-based scholarships are available and happily offered to all qualifying families.
- We provide an overall incredible quality and value in music education. As an example, our training choir tuition is very competitive (amounting to only $50 per month).
How to join . . .
There are 3 different ways to join us:
1. We hold open public auditions twice a year: at the beginning of the fall semester (in August and September) and at the beginning of the winter semester (in January and February). The information about the next round of open public auditions will be posted on the main webpage at ncboyschoir.org.
- At the auditions, girls and boys and their parents will have an opportunity to observe rehearsals.
- No formal preparation of singing material or prior singing experience is required.
- For parents who are unsure as to whether their kids are ready to join the Choir musically and otherwise, do NOT worry. For our training choir, we are looking for boys and girls with a pleasant singing voice, interest in music, and a very basic music ability. The auditions are very informal, relaxed and low pressure. We wholeheartedly welcome all children who are interested in singing to our auditions!
2. We traditionally hold several half-day music camps/choral workshops on Saturdays in August/September and in January. There is an easy and relaxed atmosphere in the camps. Boys and girls have fun and learn some choral basics with the special NCBC-developed music curriculum. We provide professional music instruction, snacks and water. Participation in camps takes place in lieu of auditions. The information about the free camp/workshop will be posted on the home page at ncboyschoir.org, when the schedule is finalized.
3. If you missed one of our formal audition or camp dates, do not fret. We are happy to schedule an informal meet-and-greet session (live or virtual) for your child throughout the year. The meeting will be short, informal and low pressure. To arrange a meeting throughout the year, please contact us by email at email@example.com or fill out the contact form below: